IATA Certified Courses
THE LODGING AND FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY, 8th Edition
This course lays the groundwork for a basic understanding of the lodging
and food service industry by tracing the industry’s growth and development both nationally and
internationally, by reviewing the organization of hotel and food and beverage operations, and by
focusing on industry opportunities and future trends.
At the completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Explain the relation of lodging and food and beverage operations to the travel and tourism
2. Describe the scope of the travel and tourism industry and its economic impact on local,
national, and international levels.
3. Cite opportunities for education, training, and career paths and development in the
4. Summarize the origins of the European and American lodging and food service industries.
5. Describe the effects of globalization on the hospitality industry.
6. Evaluate and discuss several major factors, developments, and trends that have affected
lodging and food service operations in recent years and that will continue to affect the
industry in the future.
7. Compare the effects on the industry of franchising, management contracts, referral
organizations, independent and chain ownership, time-share and condominium growth,
and consolidations and acquisitions.
8. Identify the general classifications of hotels and describe the most distinctive features of
9. List the common divisions or functional areas of hotel organization (rooms, food and
beverage, engineering, marketing and sales, accounting, human resources, and security),
and explain the responsibilities and activities of each.
10. Outline the functional areas or departments typically found in each hotel division.
11. List and explain the major classifications of food services, beginning with the distinction
between commercial and institutional operations.
12. Outline the organization, structure, and functional areas in commercial and institutional
food service operations.
13. Analyze the importance of each division in achieving the objectives of a lodging and/or food
14. Demonstrate knowledge of food and beverage controls that pertain to food and beverage
sales, payroll planning, and production standards.
15. Identify the benefits of and advancements in energy management programs and outline
steps for organizing such a program.
16. Describe ways in which technological advancements, such as property management
systems, Internet access provided to guests, and reservations made through online booking
sources, have dramatically changed many work areas within the hospitality industry.
17. Demonstrate an understanding of the numerous ways in which environmental concerns
have influenced the hospitality industry.
- No Prerequisites
Inspire Training Academy is one of the premier professional training institutes in Qatar, India, Nepal, UAE,Spain and opening its doors soon in Pakistan and Srilanka. INSPIRE Training Academy is your training partner for Management, Hospitality, Aviation, HSE, Security, Soft Skills, IELTS and APTIS preparation, Corporate trainings, Travel & Tourism, Cyber Security, Maritime, Business and Life Coach, Cargo & Logistics ,IT and MS office and Retail Management.