IATA Certified Courses
UNDERSTANDING HOSPITALITY LAW, 5th Edition
Provides an awareness of the rights and responsibilities that the law grants
to or imposes upon a hotelkeeper, and illustrates the possible consequences of failure to satisfy
At the completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Describe the development of rules regarding the rights and liabilities of innkeepers under
the common law system, as well as the ways in which contract law, tort law, and negligence
law affect the hotel keeper.
2. Describe a hotel’s duty under the common law to receive guests and the circumstances under
which it can refuse to accommodate potential guests or can evict guests or others.
3. Explaina guest’s right to privacy and a hotel’s affirmative duty not to allow unregistered and
unauthorized third parties access to gues trooms.
4. State the purpose of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and briefly describe how
Title III of the Act affects lodging and food service establishments.
5. Describe the hotel’s obligation to protect its guests.
6. Identify the steps a hotel must take to limit its liability for loss of guest valuables.
7. Describe the procedures a hotel must follow if a guest dies while at the hotel.
8. Identify the general restrictions typically placed by states on food service operations and on
operations licensed to sell alcohol for on-premises consumption.
9. Identify which employers are subject to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and
which employees are eligible for leave and related benefits under the Act.
10. State the essential elements of several laws barring discrimination in employment.
11. Identify general prohibitions outlined in the Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988.
12. Describe the provisions of the Immigration Reformand Control Act of 1986.
13. State the conditions under which tips are not considered wages.
14. List OSHA’s major functions.
15. Define “telephone sale” as it applies to lodging establishments.
16. Name the three major copyright societies, and explain when royalties are payable to them.
17. Describe the Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations on fire brigades.
18. State the purpose of the federal antitrust laws.
19. List some of the typical provisions of a franchise contract.
20. Describe privacy, antitrust, copyright, and employee use issues as they relate to the Internet.
21. Discuss the impact of terrorism on laws governing hotels.
- No Prerequisites
Inspire Training Academy is one of the premier professional training institutes in Qatar, India, Nepal, UAE,Spain and opening its doors soon in Pakistan and Srilanka. INSPIRE Training Academy is your training partner for Management, Hospitality, Aviation, HSE, Security, Soft Skills, IELTS and APTIS preparation, Corporate trainings, Travel & Tourism, Cyber Security, Maritime, Business and Life Coach, Cargo & Logistics ,IT and MS office and Retail Management.